(Latin Post) – A driver who rammed his car into the gates of U.S. Army post Fort Sam Houston in Texas is in custody after the ordeal on Sunday. Police have not provided much information about the situation or the suspect, but the military base, which had been placed under lockdown, has returned to normal operations.
The suspect has been identified as a male Saudi national, according to KCEN TV. Authorities have not identified the man, but he is in custody. Initial reports said the car contained explosives but the Associated Press reported Monday morning the car did not contain any explosive devices.
The AP also reports the suspect is a college student but did not provide his nationality.
The base went into lockdown at around 5:30 p.m. Sunday night, according to the New York Daily News, and was under lockdown for four hours as military police investigated. The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office knew of the lockdown but did not deploy any deputies to the scene.
Cars were not allowed to leave or enter the base as the investigation continued, reported the San Antonio Express-News.
The director of public affairs for Joint Base San Antonio, Todd White, denied the rumors that an active shooter was on the base.
“There is no active shooter, and nothing to indicate there ever was,” he said.
According to The Associated Press, Alex Delgado, spokesman for the 502nd Air Base Wing, said in a statement that the lockdown was lifted later Sunday night and the base returned to normal operations.
NBC News reported military police handed the suspect and his vehicle over to the FBI. As of now, no charges have been reportedly filed.
Fort Sam Houston, founded in 1910, is a 3,000-acre facility that houses the Army Medical Command Headquarters and is part of Joint Base San Antonio.